Yellow Split Pea Soup with Sweet Potato and Spinach Recipe
Quickly cooked greens bring just the right amount of freshness into this warm spice dish.
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced· 4 ribs celery, diced
- 2 medium sweet potato, diced
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 cup yellow split peas, soaked
- 3 ½ – 4 cups filter water
- 1 lb spinach or swiss chard, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Season with sea salt to taste
- In a large pot, over medium heat, add coconut oil and allow to melt. Once coconut oil has melted, add diced onions, carrots, celery, and sweet potatoes. Stir until onions have become translucent, than add curry powder and cook for another 4 minutes.
- Add yellow split peas and 3½ cups of water to the vegetable mixture. Cover the pot with a lid, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat and simmer until peas dissolve into the liquid and all vegetables are fork tender (about 1 – 1 ½ hour).
- Prior to serving, stir in spinach or chard into the soup, and cook for 2 minutes uncovered until greens have wilted but are still vibrant green. Serve immediately.
Leave a Reply