Harvest Ground Turkey Stuffed Acorn Squash
Guest Blogger Alexandra Raver from donteatthespatula.blogspot.com
Fall is definitely my favorite season of all for many reasons. It’s not just the cool weather that is great, it is also time for squash season. As a kid I remember eating a lot of acorn squash, but not like this! For this recipe I combined acorn squash with another fall classic combo: cranberries and apples, to create a delicious, flavor-packed dish that is sure to impress the family.
• 2 medium to large acorn squash, halved
• 1 lbs of ground turkey
• 2 large carrots, thinly sliced
• ½ large onion, diced
• 1 apple, chopped
• 1 ½ cups of cranberries (fresh or frozen)
• 2 cups of fresh spinach, roughly chopped
• 1 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees
2. Cute acorn squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds.
Note: don’t throw those seeds away, they make a great snack! Rinse them and toss them with a little olive oil and salt. Spreed them out on a sheet pan. Pop them in the oven after the squash in done for a just few minutes until they start to brown and remove to cool.
3. Place acorn squash halves face down on a aluminum foil lined tray and place in oven for 50 mins or until you can easily pierce with a fork. Once finished remove from oven to let cool until it’s easy to handle
4. Meanwhile chop and prepare all vegetables.
5. In large frying pan, heat oil on medium-high heat.
6. When pan is hot, add ground turkey and cook until no longer pink.
7. Add carrots, onion, apple and cranberries to pan. Cook until cranberries start to breakdown and other fruits/vegetables or soft.
8. Add Spinach to pan and cook until it begins to wilt.
9. By now your squash should be cooked and cooled enough to handle. Flip them over and scoop out about half of the filling from each half and put in pain with meat and vegetables/fruits.
10. Thoroughly combine mixture in pan. Divide the mixture and place it back into the squash shells.
11. Place acorn squash halves back in the oven and cook for additional 10-15 minutes.
12. Remove halves from oven and let sit for 5 minutes before serving. This recipe makes 4 servings.