Cauliflower Rice and Pan-Fried Brussel Sprouts
Guest Blogger Alexandra Raver from donteatthespatula.blogspot.com
Sometimes you have a piece of fish or steak planned, but no clue what sides to serve with it. These two sides compliment many of your favorite dinners, and can be served together or with other side options. They go great with meat, pork, seafood, or poultry options or you can serve them with more veggies to make a delicious vegetable plate. They are also great alternatives to try over some of sides your family may be used to in your meals.
Caul-i-rice or Cauliflower Rice
• 1 small head of cauliflower, trimmed and roughly chopped
• 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
• 1 Tbsp coconut oil (or extra virgin olive oil)
• Salt and pepper for taste
1. In a blender or food processor, add chopped cauliflower and lightly pulse until it gets to desired texture.
2. Heat oil in large pan over medium heat.
3. Once oil is hot, add onions to pan and cook until they are translucent.
4. Add caul-i-rice to pan and toss until its covered with oil and onions are mixed in well.
5. Season with pepper and salt and cover.
6. Cook for about 5 mins and check. You want it to be soft like rice texture. You may need to cook it a few minutes longer if not ready.
7. Remove and serve. This makes about 5-6 servings.
Pan-Fried Brussel Sprouts
• 1 lb of fresh or frozen brussel sprouts, halved or quartered
• 1 Tbsp of butter, unsalted
• A pinch of nutmeg
• Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Heat butter in pan over medium-high heat.
2. Add brussel sprouts and toss in butter until covered.
3. Sprinkle with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
4. Cooke for 8-10 minutes or until brussel sprout start to brown. You may need to cook it longer if frozen, but turn down temperature so you don’t burn it.
5. Remove from pan and enjoy. This makes about 3-4 servings