Blackened Tilapia Baja Tacos with Jalapeno Onion Slaw
Guest Blogger Alexandra Raver from donteatthespatula.blogspot.com
I have dubbed these “Better Thank Food Truck Fish Tacos.” They are so Delicious and so easy to make and are great week night meal for the family. I like to make the jalapeno onion slaw the day before or morning of to give it time to marinate. The tacos go great with side salad, black beans and/or rice.
Jalapeno Onion Slaw
• 1/4 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
• 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
• 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice (about one small lime)
• 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
• 1 cup thinly sliced white onion (about one medium size)
1. Combine the sour cream, cilantro, lime juice and jalapeno pepper in a food processor. It is important to know that this may not hit the blades of a regular processor, so you may need to use a blender or a hand blender if you don’t have a fancy processor.
2. Mix the jalapeno sauce with the sliced onions in a bowl and set aside. Again, this can be made ahead of time. Simply store in sealed container in fridge until you need it.
• 1 1/2 tsp paprika
• 1 1/2 tsp brown sugar
• 1 tsp dried oregano
• 3/4 tsp garlic powder
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1/2 tsp ground cumin
• 1/4 tsp ground red pepper
• 4 (6-ounce) tilapia fillets (you can also use sole, halibut, or flounder)
• 1 tablespoon avocado oil (or another oil that has a high smoke point)
• 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas (or your choice)
• 1/2 ripe peeled avocado, thinly sliced
• 4 lime wedges
1. Combine all the spice/herbs in a small bowl.
2. Wash and pat dry your fish
3. Coat the spice mix evenly over both sides of the fish.
4. You can cook the tilapia in your choice of pans, but it works best in a cast-iron skillet. First heat up the oil in the skillet over a medium-high heat.
5. Place the tilapia in the pan and cook it about 3 mins a side. Place on plate when finished cooking.
6. Meanwhile, Warm up the tortillas in another pan over medium heat. Flip them occasionally until they start to create little bubbles on the shell.
7. Assemble away! Cut the tilapia into smaller pieces and place them on the tortilla. Top with a layer of the jalapeno onion slaw, slices of avocado and a splash of lime.